Skip to content
- Attended Johns Hopkins University and graduated with a B.A. degree in 1972
- Attended medical school at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan where he was elected to the Aesculapian Society for his contribution to medical teaching
- Trained at Harvard’s Longwood Medical Campus after medical school where he was appointed Chief Resident in psychopharmacology.
- While at Harvard, had the good fortune to study under prestigious Drs. Richard Shader, Joseph Schildkraut, Tom Gutheil, Leston Havens, Carl Salzman, and Norm Geschwind.
- After his residency, Dr. Burstein began a private practice in the greater Boston area and has been in clinical practice since 1980.
- Has been practicing psychiatry for over 25 years
- Held faculty positions at Harvard Medical School, Tufts Medical School and Arizona State University
- Currently an Adjunct Associate Professor at Midwestern Medical School in Arizona
- In 1992, became the medical director of Senior Horizons, a psychiatric hospital for geriatric patients in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Medical Director for Arizona Biodyne (the managed care company for Arizona Blue Cross/Blue Shield) for the past 15 years.
- Recipient of Teacher of the Year award from Geriatric Fellowship from Sun West for his work with geriatric fellows.
- Founded the Consultation Psychopharmacology Department at Tufts New England Medical Center
- Treated hundreds of psychiatric and dual diagnosis patients at Hampstead Hospital for six years.
- Appearances on local television as a guest commentator
- Featured in newspaper articles on countless occasions
- Nationwide public speaking engagements with audiences up to 500 attendees including members in the medical industry, fellow healthcare providers and the public.
- Mentors medical students while practicing outpatient psychiatry upon patient approval for extensive, hands-on education